Two people escape a burning home in the area of Dudley and Hughes in Fresno.
It broke out around four Friday afternoon.
When firefighters arrived three rooms of the house were on fire.
Two people were at home at the time.
The female adult smelled smoke and when they opened the bathroom door the smoke came billowing out of the bathroom.
Previously she had lit a candle in that room.
Firefighters say the home had a smoke detector, but it wasn't working. They say it's always a good idea to make sure your detectors are in working order.