Fresno Fire Chief talks about dangers of Carbon Monoxide
It's a sound that could save your life and one Fresno Fire Chief Rob Brown knows all to well.
“I my self have had my family saved by a carbon monoxide detector when I was out of town. They felt sick, the detector went off and they called the fire department," said Brown.
Firefighters had the rare chance to be pro-active at the Fresno Maroa home Thursday. They helped install twenty five new carbon monoxide detectors that can be the last line of defense against the deadly gas.
"Most of the fatalities that we find in the fire service with carbon monoxide are people who went to sleep and never woke up," said Brown.
In 2011 carbon monoxide poisoning took center stage when it claimed the lives of two children in Oakhurst when a malfunctioning generator leaked the gas. And earlier this month it returned once more when a faulty heater leaked carbon monoxide outside an elementary school classroom in Raisin City.
"Nationally over 450 people die in homes and apartments from being overcome by carbon monoxide," said Brown.
Beyond safety, it's now the law for single family homes that burn fossil fuels and apartment complexes, a law the Maroa home is happy they now comply with.