A two-alarm fire broke out Sunday 1 p.m. at the corner of Van Ness and Voorman.
Three dozen Fresno city firefighters battled flames which raged through a century old building. Crew members began this call in rescue mode after learning that a 19-year old man who lives here had run back inside the burning structure.
“The firefighters found him in the apartment unconscious. They pulled him out and he's been transported to CRMC at this time,” said Tim Henry of the Fresno Fire Dept.
Family members tell CBS47 he is now doing ok.
Investigators say the fire started downstairs then quickly spread to the attic, which spelled trouble for firefighters.
“To the point where the ceiling and roof was starting to collapse on them, so we had to pull out once we knew there were no more victims left in the apartment complex,” said Henry.
Crews manned two water cannons from atop ladders to try and contain the blaze.
One resident was devastated to come home to this destruction.
“I lost everything I ever worked for. Everything I worked for all my life,” said Pedro, a resident of the building.
Workers with American Red Cross are now helping those displaced. Some neighbors are lending a helping hand as well.
“Trying to get them some clothes, some food, some shelter for now until they can get a place of their own,” said a woman who lives nearby.
A young woman who watched the fire burn said it was impressive to watch firefighters work together.
“I'm glad that some taxpayer money is going to something like this. They put it out really fast, so it's really reassuring,” said Ariel Goodman.
Residents believe this fire may have been sparked by an electrical problem. However, firefighters are still working to try and determine the exact cause.