Parents angry following carbon monoxide leak at school
This normally full classroom at Raisin City Elementary sits empty today after a carbon monoxide leak caused school officials to evacuate students from the room.
"They've had the children in the class, they've been exposed to it, they're not doing anything about it," said parent Guadalupe Zunija.
"When the teacher opened the door that's when she smelled it," said Superintendent Juan Sandoval.
Sandoval says smoke from a heater outside raised a red flag and a teacher got kids out fast.
"And at that point PG & E and was pretty good and in 30 minutes they were here and they checked the heating system outside and did detect a leak. There for the system was releasing carbon monoxide," said Sandoval.
Right now raisin city doesn't have carbon monxide detectors in their classes. We checked and it's not required by state law and that has parents venting.
"I'm thinking about transfering because he is not giving us any answers. Most of the parents right here are thinking about the same thing," said Zunija.
Raisin City Elementary plans to have carbon monoxide filters installed in all their classrooms by the end of the week.