A two-year old boy is dead after accidentally being poisoned by his grandmother.
Investigators say the boy was playing at his grandparent’s house in an industrial Merced neighborhood, and got thirsty.
Police say grandma picked up what she thought was water off the floor bed of her husband's truck.
The boy started choking.
They soon realized he drank chemicals used to clean aluminum tire rims.
“They initially dialed 911, but did smart thing. Put child in the car drove… to Mercy Hospital in Merced. Mercy Hospital took the child to children's hospital where the child was pronounced dead,” said Deputy Tom Mackenzie.
Charges haven't been filed and investigators believe it was a tragic accident.
But poison control doctors say the accident could have been prevented.
“It sort of highlights this case-the danger of putting non-food in a food container and having someone come along thinking they're drinking something meant to be food or a beverage with catastrophic consequences, “said Dr. Richard Geller.
An autopsy is scheduled for Tuesday.